Forgot your username?

User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Nelson Ledges Fun Day interest?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really happy to see this. Let's plan ahead and do a Friday later this summer.

Elitist Extremist fairgentleman Z's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thursday - left later than I wanted (as usual), stayed at EconoLodge in Warren, for $58 after taxes it was adequate. Got to sleep around 1 and woke up around 5:30.

Friday - Sign in at gate, park close to tech center, unload a bunch of crap from car, check in at registration table, get car in line at tech (you can fill out your own tech form, but someone will still give the car a glance over). Then drivers meeting parade laps, and the 20 minute sessions start. My student didn't have his battery tied down so we missed parade laps, but no big deal since he had been there one time before. I took him out in my car for my session. He was driving a built MR2 Turbo, for the level he was driving at it seemed predictable, but power did come on really strong probably could hit 130 before the kink if he wanted to push it. Worked on some stuff and he got better at the end of the day.

Friday night I camped at Nelson Ledges Rock Quarry Park, which is ok if you want to camp, not sure if it was worth saving $38 though. Went to sleep around 10 and got ok sleep, got up at 6, there were people still up partying.

Saturday - same routine, my student was in a 2014-2015 ? 1LE. It was his second time there. Worked on some fundamentals, gave his wife a ride in my car, then after lunch they were like "um can you take my wife around in my car", as was "ehh idk, are you sure?" "i trust you, do it" "... um o.k.". The car was a lot more tame than I expected, I don't know how much was it hooking up or how much was nannies kicking in, but I didn't feel anything unnatural. He had some 400 treadwear tires and the braking was the worst part, seemed like it needed an extra 5-10 feet past the braking zone, which was o.k. in most spots, but looking at 120 on the HUD display into the kink, might be a bad distraction... I drove it quick but still left some room on the table. The student was great to work with and improved every session, worked on getting him smooth everywhere first then added speed. In the afternoon; exiting 1 I told him to floor it, he was hesitant the first time I told him "go, go, go!", but the next time "roll in and floor it". Dropped him from running 1:31s to 1:26 in that one session. I told him he was good enough to go on his own the last session, just told him don't get to distracted by trying to beat lap times, and listen to your body if you start making mistakes late in the day.

I also went out in the morning in the intermediate session just to feel better about myself and pass people (the instructor group were almost all trailered cars with R-comps). I passed a few "faster" cars and pitted in. One dude has an M235i so let's see if I can get him to figure out how to go faster. In the afternoon I went up to him "hey, I think you can be faster, want to work on some stuff?". So I took him out in my car and showed him a nice flowing line, got in his car and asked him what his previous experience was "I did the last track day here" (and that was it, 1 track day ever and he was ready for the intermediate group) and then rode with him and he showed me he could drive fast, brake early and not hit the line. I told him what to work on and parted ways.

Track - yeah, new pavement, no one had their old reference points. There were drop offs that were 4", so they marked the course with cones to discourage drop wheels. They do plan on adding concrete at apexes and corner exits. So with the cones you couldn't kick up grass on corner exit like before, just meant apex's and exits were about 1' tighter. Track temps got past 145* and got just a little greasy at the end of the day, just a little, and that could be tires not being able to handle the heat. Friday a lot of pebbles got kicked up and marbled off the line, but it wasn't unmanageable. I did't see that happening as bad on Saturday.

GANAR Driver Experience - good, more organized than "Fundays", five 20 minute sessions, and one 40 minute open. There were some cars that needed towing, and oil on track, so they just eliminate the instructor session because we can run with any group anyways, and that made sure every other group got their time. I had more fun instructing than just doing it for the track day.
    Last edited by fairgentleman Z; 06-18-2017 at 12:07 PM.
    driving cars > owning cars

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I was wondering about the curbing because it looked like they just paved right over the existing road.

Lifetime User
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am always late to the party, my cousin who lives a few min from there stopped by with his kids to spectate for a few min and called me. NELSON IS OPEN BRING YOUR TRACK CAR. I definitely want to get the the A8 out there and see if it can come close to my SHO track car. Nelson is a lot of fun. glad to hear it didn't disappoint.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678