User Tag List

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

Thread: Went out for some folding chairs

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    I'm curious to hear how the bushing swap goes.
    Halfway through the rears now. The uppers are not hard to remove, I just pressed them out and then burned out the steel sleeves. Messy and smelly but certainly not difficult. We shall see how the rear lowers go tonight. I don't know how old the alignment is on this car so I'm also going to install the fronts that I just ordered before getting it all aligned.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo View Post
    A lot of nice work going into this car! I found after Auto cross yesterday that my engine mounts are weak my motor seems to move A lot ut kept pulling the cold air intake out of the MAF.

time for poly motor and trans mounts!
    Last edited by Norb O; 05-15-2017 at 03:18 PM.
    - 2001 560i LSx SOLD
    - 2000 FRC

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I'm gonna try to order them asap so I can throw them in before the TMP event at the end of the month.
    Last edited by Wahoo; 05-15-2017 at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I've been tinkering with little stuff on this thing but nothing really worth mentioning except for this

The original paint is not up to my standards (rock chips and very fine sandblasting of front bumper and fenders around wheels). I am of the mindset that repainting body panels/permanent color changes devalue a car, so a total respray is out of the question.

I have been tossing around the idea of a "neutral" shade - something that doesn't have too much of a specific identity - yellow is too loud, red attracts police, etc etc. A shade of silver, gray, etc is my style. I want something that will have some attitude, but is not tacky, garish, and doesn't scream "look at me". My only real criteria is a high gloss finish. The matte/flat thing looks cheap and unfinished to me.

I bought some samples of Telesto Gray, Gloss Dark Gray, and a 3M Metallic Gray. I put the Telesto Grey sample strip on the car, spanning multiple body lines, and it just didn't have the depth I was looking for. Looked somewhat cheap and showed marks/scratches easily, because there was nothing to draw the eye away from those blemishes. So that killed that idea.

0821162101a by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

0821162101 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

0821162101b by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

0821162103 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Here's what I'm thinking: Anthracite Gray by 3M has the right shade of brightness to it while including enough metallic flake to give it depth. I love how it looks in that last picture.

I like how it has that depth when out of the light....

But has that brilliant glossy finish with light applied.

Looks really nice pulled off on this Miata.

And even better on this S4
    3m Gloss Anthracite vinyl wrapped b5 s4 work meister s1r by hkarmy1134, on Flickr

10661995855_ea4df64df1_h by hkarmy1134, on Flickr

I guess the closest C5 factory color to this shade would be a Medium Spiral Gray, which was never available on the FRC body style...

Here is a Medium Spiral Gray C5 for reference.

just found this over on the 'Tech - Cyber Grey C5Z06

- 2001 560i LSx SOLD
    - 2000 FRC

Regular User
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cyber grey is great. My c5 had the same sand blast look on the front end, it drove me crazy.

What does a full wrap like that cost? What is the expected life on it?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I paid just over $600 for all the tools and materials. 300sq ft of wrap, heat gun, knifeless tape, squegee and razors, etc

Labor is free because I like learning how to do new things, my time spent is a whole different story. I expect it to take me a few weeks.

I figure by the time I wet sand and compound/polish the whole car I would have just as much time wrapped (ha) up, but the paint is still the OEM black that will look like shit in a few weeks because I actually drive my car.

The expected life is 3 years, but this is only a fair weather daily that's garaged and not exposed to elements as much as the typical daily, so I hope it lasts that long. On the other hand I track it occasionally so it might see some chips on the front end. If I have to rewrap a front bumper every couple years, so be it, it is what it is. I wonder if you can put a clear gloss vinyl over a colored vinyl...
    Last edited by Norb O; 07-20-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    - 2001 560i LSx SOLD
    - 2000 FRC

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wraps don't ruin the paint underneath I assume, how hard it to remove if need be?

I think the color will look great.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't affect the paint underneath.
    - 2001 560i LSx SOLD
    - 2000 FRC

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Norb O View Post
    I paid just over $600 for all the tools and materials. 300sq ft of wrap, heat gun, knifeless tape, squegee and razors, etc
    I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314