Forgot your username?

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garage Floor Coating/Covering

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LZ that looks great. Really the look Id like to achieve.

Bulk buying seems the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2010 Mazdaspeed 3 - 1990 Miata - 2005 Chevy Colorado

Climbin in ya window... travisn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The data sheet says 844-847 sq.ft./gal of coverage, whats your actual usage?

Wishing I bought a ////////3 Xander's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1QIKZ View Post
    My HF mechanics seat has served me well thus far.
    I was just thinking the same thing, I use it to roll under my car on the 4 post that I can only lift about 55" with the car on top.

That floor looks great BTW, makes me consider doing mine, but the cost deters me. My floors are not terrible, but just a lot of scrapes from the previous owner's sleds. Your garage looks to be a 12 x 20? I've got two 20' x 20' garages to do, which would be $2K in material, plus my time, and I could f@ck it up, which tells me leave well enough alone.

You can see it in this picture in front of my son's sweet GT3. LOL

X....

X...
    Last edited by Xander; 08-10-2017 at 09:04 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would a good sealer go pretty far in preventing oil stains? Clean, etch, seal? I was at home depot today and saw the sealer but it made no mention about being used alone (as in only used before the epoxy, but that might just be how it's marketed). It might be a good stop gap until funds can be allocated to that job. Which may be never once the barn gets built.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't cheap out on sealer. I get mine every her from a suply center i Tonwanda down the street from Gander Mountain. Expensive, nasty, but quality product. I roll it for coverage.
    "My Z is a hybrid vehicle....it runs on gasoline and money."

1994 300ZXTT, 2003 Mustang GTTT
    The only thing better than a twin turbo car is two twin turbo cars.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did a bit of painting over the weekend. Here's a few before/after pics. It doesn't show too much of a difference. The walls weren't too bad, since they were covered in hundreds of pictures. The hard part was removing the thousands of staples. Each pic had 4-6 staples

Here are some before pics:

Here is an after pic with the lights on. It's very bright inside now:

I bought 4 boxes of this stuff. I really hope it's all I need. This shit gets expensive!

I'm going to let the paint dry for a week, and next weekend I'm going to degrease the floor and get it ready for a skim coat of concrete. I don't expect a perfect finish because the one corner is raised up a bit, but I'm optimistic that it will look tons better.
    '94 Z28 BLACK LT1 n/a

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is your floor all pitted or something?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by travisn View Post
    Is your floor all pitted or something?
    There are pits in a few small areas and a bunch of shallow cracks, that this stuff "should" fill.

'94 Z28 BLACK LT1 n/a

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will that resurfacer act as a painted top coat?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    Will that resurfacer act as a painted top coat?

I don't believe so. It's just concrete. It's designed to smooth out the existing concrete. It's a step that you can skip depending on how smooth your floor is to begin with.
    '94 Z28 BLACK LT1 n/a

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joelster View Post
    I don't believe so. It's just concrete. It's designed to smooth out the existing concrete. It's a step that you can skip depending on how smooth your floor is to begin with.
    Gotchya. So would still need paint or epoxy on top.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update time. I'm almost done with the main section. I ended up scrubbing off 90% of the "skim" concrete I put down. It didn't bond worth shit. It only stayed in the deeper spots. I would skip it unless your garage is severely cracked. I put a primer coat of gray concrete paint down ($30) and used it thick to hit some of the tiny pits. I didn't use the etch on the first half. Then I went to Lowe's and bought the 2.5 car garage kit of Epoxyshield. I had them mix it to Teal Green. It was $109. I mixed it up and did the trim, then I rolled it on in small strips. This also shows some flakes being added.

First 2 pads done. You'll notice some lines in there. Basically I learned that you should do an entire pad and then throw the chips on instead of doing it in small sections like the directions say. It's easier to get the color more uniform that way.

The pic looks deceiving. The 2 pads you see can fit 3 cars. I ended up with about 1/4-1/3 of a gallon extra. All of the reviews said that the kits don't supply enough product, I found it to be just the opposite.

After it dries you can run your hands over it and feel some of the edges from the chips. A lot of them don't sit perfectly flush and if you don't put a clearcoat on you'll probably end up ripping a bunch of them out. I ended up putting 3 gallons of clear ($31 per gallon, $93 total) onto these 2 pads. I initially used 1 gallon and rolled it on, but I didn't like the way it turned out when done. The roller left it orange peeled looking. So I poured 1 gallon more onto each pad and used a squeegie to smooth it on.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a shot after all of the clear was on and it had dried:

Now it was on to the next 2 pads. I used the concrete etch from the kit and applied it. I let the floor dry for 2 days and then swept it all out and got ready for the next kit. This kit mixed up a tad lighter than the first kit or it just needs more clear. Right now the coloring is very close. The pic was taken right after it was applied.

Here's a before/after of the 2nd section. Notice the pics on the wall. Multiply those pics x1000 and you'll get an idea of what the garage looked like before. My girl made hot rod curtains and painted the compressor too. All that is left is to put a nice border along the bottom, and it will basically be done. Total investment was about $275ish for the first 2 pads and $170 for the 2nd 2 pads. That's for roughly 600 sqft, parking for 4 cars plus extra room.

'94 Z28 BLACK LT1 n/a

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just put the cars in there today. I put pads under the wheels because I don't trust it yet. I don't want any accidents. I was mistaken before about the pad sizes. Each one is 14'1"x 11'2". All four pads is 626sq/ft. I used 2 of the 2.5car garage kits and in total probably had 1/2 gallon, maybe more, of the epoxy left over. we ended up using some on a workbench. Keep in mind that once you mix it, you have a short window with which to apply it. Typically 2-3 hours.

Last edited by joelster; 09-28-2017 at 08:02 PM.
    '94 Z28 BLACK LT1 n/a

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123