Forgot your username?

User Tag List

Thread: Track Day N00000b

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Track Day N00000b

Hey guys, where's the best place to go for someone who's never done a track day before? I wouldn't be doing it in the Viper, I'm not nearly a good enough driver.

I know it's October, so this wouldn't be till next year, but maybe I can use the winter to get the car more ready than it is.

It'd be in my neon now that it's finally back on the road. I can say it's incredibly slow (high 14.9-15.1 sec 1/4 est.), but it handles better than my GTS, due to an unfair amount of suspension upgrades. I wouldn't mind blowing up this motor/tranny, or crashing it lol

Any advice?

I remember ECC North had something going on when I got my motorcycle license but didn't see that this past year.

Thanks.
    15 Focus SE - 01 S10 4.3L - 96 Viper GTS - 95 Neon R/T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These guys are A+ way to start: http://niagarapca.org/driver-education/

the car doesn't matter the first few days. viper, civic, anything really... it's about learning track position, braking zones, flags, rules etc
    Last edited by theblue; 09-30-2017 at 07:54 AM.
    Race: E36 Chumpcar / DE: E30 / Summer: C6 Vette / Winter: Audi A3

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you've NEVER done anything like it I'd start with SCCA stuff. It's perfect for beginners / Neons: http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.ph...dium)-schedule

After learning that then step it up to the faster stuff

Moving this thread to the Track forum too BTW.

Elitist Extremist fairgentleman Z's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are 3 events semi locally:

10/1 Xerox hosted by FLR, this is usually a long course.
    https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...r-lakes-571321

10/8 Lake Erie Speedway hosted by MBR
    https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...ery-bay-464578

10/15 Xerox hosted by FLR
    https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...r-lakes-075515

I'm going tomorrow, I might have a seat open in my car if your neon is not ready, but I don't know about the other two.

I instructed 2 track days (directly with 3 drivers, and following 3 other drivers), and probably 30 different drivers in auto-x this last year. It is my OPINION that you are better off spending $200 doing (4) auto-x before spending $200 doing (1) track day. We should be doing a proper novice school in 2018 at New Era Field, and I think we have Seneca back which is huge and might be a 3rd gear course.

I'm too lazy to update this thread, some links are good, some are broken:
    http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.ph...l=1#post179312

This was an OK column:
    http://www.motoiq.com/Columns/ProjectRacer.aspx

But you can read all you want but the most important this is doing it, SEAT TIME.

Typical first couple auto-x is:
    • wtf do these cones mean
    • look ahead
    • wtf do these cones mean again (the faster you go the less time you have to react to them, look ahead)
    • drive faster and find limit quickly, drive past the limit, it's ok to fuck up.

Typical first couple track day is:
    • find all corner worker station, and understand that they control the track
    • look ahead and understand the general line
    • find "marks", where to brake, where to brake later, where to turn in - apex - track out
    • drive faster and find limit slowly and smoothly, stay at or under the limit, it's not ok to fuck up.
    Last edited by fairgentleman Z; 09-30-2017 at 03:02 PM.
    driving cars > owning cars

Jr. User
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listen to Fairgentleman Z. He knows what he's talking about and has been super-helpful through the Auto-X season.
    -Joe
    -2004 RX8
    -2016 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

Sr. User
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are you looking to drive around in a parking lot or go faster on a track like the glen?

doing a track day with PCA or hooked on driving and driving with an instructor will do you worlds of good. take the neon first and swap brake fluid and get some decent pads. learn whats involved and if you like doing it or not.

id say whatever you do, do something with an instructor first before you go solo. to prevent bad habits etc. let someone coach you through it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn guys thanks for all the info! I got a lot of reading to do.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The closest track with open lapping is in Cayuga, Ontario. Most years I get up there at least once a month for a Wednesday or Friday evening of open lapping. https://torontomotorsportspark.com/r...n-car-lapping/

I agree with FairgentlemanZ that starting with autocross is the way to go. It's a low risk, high excitement way to understand the limits of your car. Car control is much easeir, and more fun to learn at 25-30mph without walls. You could get started by reading, or just plan to show up at the first event next spring! His list is accurate IMO:

But you can read all you want but the most important this is doing it, SEAT TIME.

Typical first couple auto-x is:

• wtf do these cones mean
    • look ahead
    • wtf do these cones mean again (the faster you go the less time you have to react to them, look ahead)
    • drive faster and find limit quickly, drive past the limit, it's ok to fuck up.

Typical first couple track day is:

• find all corner worker station, and understand that they control the track
    • look ahead and understand the general line
    • find "marks", where to brake, where to brake later, where to turn in - apex - track out
    • drive faster and find limit slowly and smoothly, stay at or under the limit, it's not ok to fuck up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

people learn at such different rates that I don't give one size advice anymore. I'm seen an I-racer with no track time come out and crush in a real race first try on track.

Be honest about your own skills, and soak up all the advice you can get.
    Last edited by theblue; 10-03-2017 at 02:23 PM.
    Race: E36 Chumpcar / DE: E30 / Summer: C6 Vette / Winter: Audi A3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theblue View Post
    people learn at such different rates that I don't give one size advice anymore. I'm seen an I-racer with no track time come out and crush in a real race first try on track.

Be honest about your own skills, and soak up all the advice you can get.
    I'll agree with that 100%. I don't suck half as much on a road course as I do an autox course. The most important thing is to pay attention to anyone coaching you while you are staying within your limits. Not many people win trophies that mean much, so have fun and keep yourself and everyone around you safe.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pictured being on an actual race track. Also my skills are terrible because I have none. I'm good at driving in regards to Local, State and Federal Traffic laws.

Lifetime User
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://autointerests.com

This isa group i race with and they have a excellent program setup for first time track racers. I recommend one of their 2 day events at nelson now that the track has been fixed. It is pretty cheap and the track is easy on brakes and tires.

It is not ok to go to a event with the mind set i dont care if i crash my car. The point is to learn to drive safely. With that said you will have a blast in a neon with decent tires.

fairgentleman Z is extremely knowledgeable on the subject. I personally prefer track events over autox but learning car control is the main goal so autox is a very cost effective option that is local.