User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Niagara Dragstrip, or what's left of it :(

Regular User
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why was the DOD protecting the drag strip. and all that polluting and noise crap is BS. its there fault they live next to a damn airport. no one forced them. we should kick em out. lol. but that would be great to rebuild that place. it really doesnt look that hard. knock down a couple trees cut some grass new pavement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I raced at Niagara back in 1992 with my IROC. We would drive down Tuscarora road, over the gravel to the start line. It started as a small group of us every Sunday around 3-4 oclock. Nytrus1 was there a lot, JR (think 66 nova) was there a lot, plus that Lenny dude with his sick-ass truck with a nitroused big-block. Every week it would get busier and busier. At it's peak there were about 50-60 people there, and of course then the retards started showing up bringing cases of beer, racing there dodge aries-k cars. The one week I decided not to go (because it was getting a little too crazy), the Sheriffs raided it, from both sides, and ticketed everyone.

P.S. it looked a lot better in '92 than those recent photos show.
    '94 Z28 BLACK LT1 n/a

Lifetime User Carbonfiberhooded's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by envied_TSI View Post
    why was the DOD protecting the drag strip. and all that polluting and noise crap is BS. its there fault they live next to a damn airport. no one forced them. we should kick em out. lol. but that would be great to rebuild that place. it really doesnt look that hard. knock down a couple trees cut some grass new pavement.

They're guarding it because its practically on the airbase. It won't ever open again as long as the base is open.

Sr. User
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfiberhooded View Post
    They're guarding it because its practically on the airbase. It won't ever open again as long as the base is open.

He is correct. We do parameter checks a few times a day and the drag strip is right on the parameter.

It's kind of sad to drive down that empty overgrown strip thinking how many memories that place had.

Lifetime User
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joelster View Post
    plus that Lenny dude with his sick-ass truck with a nitroused big-block.
    Yea, thats who I went there with. He would bring his monster pro-street alcohol 67 Camaro there nicknamed "Rump". Then he took his bike with nitrous and did a 120+mph run and blew out his rear tire. Luckily he didn't dump the bike.

I ran a few times against his buddy with the 70 Nova with Nos and did decent, but that was before I got the Camaro dialed in nicely.

I heard a 60's Cutlass dropped its suspension and flipped a few times prompting them to crack down on the track.

We used to go in on Haseley and drive towards the start. It got to be a mess towards Tuscarora and soon undriveable.

I think last time I raced there was 8-9 years ago

I think I have video somewhere and pics... Got to dig for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuicedGT View Post
    meh....i prefer to make the drive to NYIRP...its a tad over an hour...its a nice drive, and the facility is worth it. From what i heard, Lancaster is History VERY soon, and its a good thing. That place is terrible.
    I've heard that the past 5 years and it hasnt happened yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^just stating what i heard recently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuicedGT View Post
    meh....i prefer to make the drive to NYIRP...its a tad over an hour...its a nice drive, and the facility is worth it. From what i heard, Lancaster is History VERY soon, and its a good thing. That place is terrible.
    Ehh, $30+ in gas each trip when towing, a long drive home, and an 'ok' facility. Those deadtrap guardrails need to be replaced (but Im sure they wont) with concrete walls, and it has a large portion of unpaved pit area. Most of the time, Id prefer to pay extra at the entrance to get into TMP, its infinately better and about the same distance away.

Quote Originally Posted by speedped79 View Post
    WHAT!!!!@!!! fuck that lancaster is awesome if anything they should redo a few things but not close it down, ive been going there since i was 3 not only for drags but induro as well
    Lancaster ia really terrible. Beat-up grandstands, a poor uneven track surface, a short shutdown area and a return road through the woods. They are lucky that they are the only game in town.

Ive heard nothing but good things about how Niagara was, both when it was open and later when people just went on their own. Its too bad that it just goes to waste.

Don't Bitch About Gas Prices or I Will FUCKING KILL YOU!!1 Bigairskier1580's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What prompted the shutdown?
    2006 Subaru Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean Edition
    1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 2.2l

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing history lesson